Church Officers in the Kingdom of God
I. Three-fold work of God the king
A. Spiritual Food – Pastors
B. Spiritual Rule – Elders
C. Physical Provision – Deacons
II. Christ is our minister (spiritual food), elder (spiritual rule), and deacon (physical provision)
III. General office of believers
A. Supply spiritual food – Rom 15:14
B. Supply spiritual rule – Gal 6:1
C. Supply physical provision – James 2:15&16
IV. Special office
A. Spiritual food – pastor
1.) John 21:15
2.) I Tim 4:13-16
B. Spiritual rule – elders
1.) Rom 12:8
2.) I Thess 5:12
C. Physical provision – deacons
1.) Acts 6:1-7
2.) I Tim 5:9
V. Things to remember
- The church functions only when general officers (the whole body) and special officers are fulfilling their callings.
- Do not place offices in a hierarchy – the deacons are crucial to the ministry of Christ.
- Christ uses his church – there is no plan B in Scripture
- The rule of the church is servant rule, as Christ gave his life in service to others.
- In Presbyterian Government, all believers, whether officers or not, have pastors, elders, and deacons.
- Do not look to men, but to Christ, who promises His presence in the ministry of church officers. In the new heavens and earth we will not need church officers.